Smoking cause of south Lethbridge duplex balcony fire
Photo credit to City of Lethbridge
Improper disposal of smoking material is the cause of a south side house fire this week.
Lethbridge firefighters were called out Tuesday (June 9) around 2:15 pm after reports of a duplex on fire along the 3800 block of 20th Avenue South.
Crews arrived soon after and put out a fire on a balcony.
Officials says one person was spraying the fire with a garden hose when they got there which helped prevent the spread and major damage.
No injuries reported and damage is pegged at $20,000.
The fire department is once again reminding residents to extinguish smoking materials properly in non-combustible containers filled with sand or water.